Monday, January 30, 2012

Stars



I spent most of the weekend with him. I was the first person he told when he found out about the engagement. I saw his brown eyes screaming in pain. I saw that old familiar fear return to him. I hate seeing him like this, but I understand why he's hurting.

My friend is in love with a girl, a girl who is going to get married. For the longest time a lot of us have always had this idea of the two of them being meant for eachother. I never really liked her much because of that. I understand what it's like to love someone you can't have, but to love someone who in turn loves you back but then runs away, I don't get that.

We spent most of the weekend talking. The only mention of football was when we both realized we had missed the Pro Bowl game, to which he replied, "The NFC always wins anyway." The AFC killed, actually.

I saw him in the most vulnerable state I've seen him in since the big break-up. You'd think the two of them broke up or something. I understand now it's not about losing her as a potential love interest, he's afraid of losing her as a friend.

This weekend I saw the true test of friendship. He bottles it up inside and keeps the pain to himself and he won't tell her how he feels. He doesn't want to hurt her, he wants her to be happy.

The only thing we could do to numb the pain was to play Hungry Hungry Hippos and to listen to this song on repeat as the rain clouds started to drift away.

I can relate to him in a way, for the obvious reasons. Like he always says, "everything happens for a reason." If it's meant to be it'll happen. Right now he needs to be there for her, and I need to be there for him. Because that's what being a best friend is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment